Our client required an assembly line performing over 20 separate processes to manufacture a single product based on Micro-Electro-Mechanical (MEMs) technology. The requirement was to design and build 17 machines, and numerous jigs and fixtures as well as the full integration of a custom, web-based Manufacturing Execution System (MES). The entire line was to be manufactured to operate in a cleanroom environment and to be installed overseas.
We provided designs for machines to perform the following process technologies:
- Precision bonding of Liquid Crystal Polymer parts to micron accuracy
- Application of laminate film to micron accuracy
- Surface activation of polymers and laminates using robot-controlled atmospheric plasma application
- Automated die placement and attachment to micron accuracy
- Automated application, bonding and testing of flexible circuit boards
- Automated potting of electrical components
- Automated metrology systems for checking accuracy of assembly
- Calibration and testing of finished products, including on-the-fly image scanning and analysis
- Fluid-based cleaning , drying and decontamination to remove particles and contaminants down to a few microns
- Particle analysis systems
In addition to the machine design and assembly, we worked continuously with the client to develop and improve the processes to shorten the product assembly time and to save on production cost.